Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation of Nevada is the first and oldest nonprofit organization in Nevada serving children, from birth to 21 years of age, and families coping with childhood cancer. Its mission is to provide emotional support, quality of life programs, and financial assistance to these families with the goal of allowing them to focus on the journey, and most importantly, loving their child.
The Director of Development will be the primary person in charge of leading the fundraising plans and initiatives for the Organization. This position is responsible for the strategic design and execution of the acquisition, solicitation, stewardship, and retention of the organization’s donors and corporate partners. The Director of Development will work closely with the CEO, Chair of the Development Committee, Chairs for fundraising events and the development staff to enhance and support the mission of the organization and to ensure that the organization’s financial goals are successfully met.
- Oversees asset development, donor relations, special events, donor communications, marketing and internal/external relations.
- Attracts charitable gifts and bequest to Candlelighters.
- Raises awareness for Candlelighters.
- Develops and maintains long-lasting, mutually beneficial relationships with philanthropic individuals in southern Nevada and the community at large.
- Responsible for managing the Development department staff, including conducting performance evaluations and career development for all direct reports.
Asset Development/Donor Relations
- Creates and implements a comprehensive asset development plan, in conjunction with the CEO.
- Continually strives to build and maintain relationships between Candlelighters and current and potential donors; cultivates existing donors and new donor prospects.
- Meets with existing and potential donors to build relationships and request future donations.
- Acquires sponsors for fundraising events.
- Ensures the successful execution of the annual campaign.
- Writes and coordinates proposals for funding requests.
- Manages Development team in planning, organizing and executing all special events in concert with the CEO.
- Attends all fundraising events.
- Responsible for preparing annual reports in a timely manner.
- Ensures a high level of donor relations.
Communications and Marketing
- Oversees the creation and revision of marketing materials related to development efforts and events.
- Helps with the overall social media strategy, ensuring the organization’s social media calendar is built out.
- Ensures donor communications are targeted and executed regularly.
- Routinely updates the website with timely and accurate information.
Internal and External Relations
- Makes public appearances to represent Candelighters.
- Utilizes CEO and key Board members strategically for meetings.
- Serves as point of contact for Candlelighters fundraisers and community fundraisers.
- Attends and assists with Candlelighters functions in which donors or potential donors will be present.
- Volunteers for non-Candlelighters functions to promote Candlelighters.
- Works with all department heads to best understand their funding needs and determine opportunities to work together to meet those needs to further Candlelighters mission.
- Periodically monitors donation recording and in-kind gift tracking to ensure compliance with the highest ethical standards of the nonprofit industry.
- Monitors department and event budgets.
- Oversees the organization’s donor database, ensuring records are accurate and up to date.
- Assist in administrative duties as needed.
- Works with all departments to ensure proper use of the Candlelighters brand, including assisting with the development of all written materials.
- Participates in leadership activities, including career development and team building activities with department heads.
- Proven track record of asset development and a wide network of local contacts.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral), presentation and listening skills for diverse audiences.
- Capability to manage all components of asset development, donor relations, communications, marketing and grant writing.
- Mature interpersonal style and the ability to interact with a diverse range of people.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Personal warmth and sincerity.
- Sound judgment.
- A high level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Ability to use computer software including but not limited to word processing, email, spreadsheets, databases and graphic design programs.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business procedures, articles, manuals and other forms of written communication.
- Ability to write letters and business correspondence, in a variety of manners.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of volunteers, managers, leadership and the general public.
- Ability to maintain records and produce clear written and oral reports.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A BA/BS from a four-year college or university is desired and a minimum of three years’ experience in fundraising, sales, or relevant field.
Position may require some overnight travel.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Position requires a current valid driver’s license, proof of authorization to work in the U.S., background check and continuous personal automobile liability coverage.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit. However, employee must be mobile, stand for extend periods of time and lift items up to 15 lbs.
The physical demands and work environment described in this position description is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
$70,000 – $80,000
For consideration, please email your resume and cover letter with salary expectations to email@example.com
Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation of Nevada is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.