Director of Philanthropy
inewsource is an independent, nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism focused on the San Diego region. For more than 11 years, inewsource has provided the San Diego region with trustworthy reporting that changes laws and lives. Now more than ever, credible journalism is important to our democracy – our journalism has never been more needed.
We have an ambitious growth plan and seek a dynamic, experienced fundraiser to serve as our Director of Philanthropy. This role will be central in strengthening and increasing philanthropic support for nonprofit journalism and building a team.
The Director of Philanthropy will create, lead and manage a strategic, donor-centered fundraising program with targets and clear reporting. This position presents an exciting opportunity for a motivated fundraising professional to direct an individual and foundation giving program. Individual donors currently provide more than 70 percent of inewsource’s unrestricted revenue. You will be responsible for maintaining and building that support.
San Diego is a richly diverse place and we are committed to listening and engaging. Equity is a focus of our reporting. Diversifying support is a priority.
The Director of Philanthropy reports to the Chief of External Relations, as part of a growing revenue team. This position is full-time and based in San Diego – under COVID-19 restrictions, the inewsource team is working from home. We are committed to the safety and health of our staff.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Create, execute & evaluate the organization’s philanthropy strategy (80%).
- In collaboration with the Chief of External Relations (CER), CEO and Board create a comprehensive philanthropic strategy that promotes mission achievement and financial sustainability.
- Evaluate and execute a philanthropic operating plan to achieve goals. Create an effective organizational stewardship plan for current and new donors. Maintain a personal portfolio and oversee portfolios for fundraisers.
- Plan and implement foundation and individual donor cultivation, stewardship, outreach events and activities.
- Work with CER and CEO to engage the board in philanthropy and appropriately task and support them in achieving plan goals.
- Maintain a streamlined system for donor records using in-depth understanding of CRM
- Oversee maintenance of comprehensive donor records, coordinate funding requests, prep donor materials, prepare reports and maintain efficient development systems.
- Develop and maintain annual fundraising budget.
- Lead and inspire staff and board to participate in philanthropic activities.
Contribute to the organization’s communications strategy in support of mission (20%).
- In collaboration with CER and CEO, create and execute annual donor communication for the organization with measurable deliverables.
- Evaluate and create donor e-newsletters, special events.
Evaluate plan every six months and provide regular reports.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, five to seven years of nonprofit fundraising experience AND successful experience in the following areas: individual major gift fundraising ($5,000+), donor communication and stewardship, managing multiple projects, prioritizing and organizing work, delegation as well as supervising, setting and reporting on goals, fundraising reporting to internal and external stakeholders, using a donor CRM.
- Professional experience in philanthropy required, ideally in a rapidly-evolving institution.
- Enthusiastically and successfully engage in one-on-one solicitation and ongoing donor stewardship.
- Comfort and facility with a wide range of philanthropic work, including donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship; prospect identification and research as well as special events (live and virtual).
- A successful track record in executing on strategy, setting priorities, managing multiple projects and working effectively under pressure to achieve individual and organizational goals.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, reliable and flexible; thrives in a fast-paced environment; a driving force who manages toward clarity, finds solutions and is able to think strategically about the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, an ability to listen to and balance, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A consummate team player with a flexible, collaborative and creative approach who can lead from behind and empower the team to contribute their best.
- Proficiency with Google platform, Microsoft Office, Salesforce or other CRM, web-based applications and use of the internet.
- Keen interest in learning and developing as a professional, staying on top of best practice research.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to inewsource’s mission.
“inewsource is a nonprofit, nonpartisan newsroom dedicated to improving lives in the San Diego region and beyond through impactful, data-based investigative and accountability journalism.”
How we’ll support you
- In-house mentorship and a transparent internal review and feedback process
- $1,000 in support for conferences and training
- We offer a competitive salary, a health plan, paid leave and a 401(k) with match.
We’re committed to building an inclusive organization that represents the people and communities we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Posting Date: 06/04/2021
Deadline to Apply: 06/25/2021
Location: San Diego, CA (You will be working remotely for the foreseeable future.)
Start Date: Flexible, but August preferred.
Starting Salary: $100,000 – $125,000, DOE
To apply: Please submit an application through this link. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
inewsource is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at inewsource are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, age, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in California. inewsource will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.