inewsource, is an independent, nonproﬁt newsroom that produces investigative journalism focused on the San Diego area. It has served the region for 11 years with trustworthy reporting that has changed laws and lives. Credible journalism is as important to democracy as food and water are to survival. This has never been more true, and our journalism has never been more needed.
This position presents an exciting opportunity — at an exciting time — to join and learn from a leadership team moving a successful major gifts program to the next level. We have an ambitious growth plan and seek a rising fundraiser or an energetic sales person to serve as our Philanthropy Oﬃcer.
- Are you a people person with the ability to listen and engage in dialogue?
- Do you enjoy meeting new people, ﬁnd out what makes them tick and aligning their interests with an important mission?
- Are you looking to learn some new skills or level up your current professional experience?
Fundraising is all about connecting people with a mission they care about.
If you care deeply about your community, and the importance of data-driven, investigative news we encourage you to apply. inewsource is an award-winning, independent, online newsroom looking to expand our revenue team. We invite you to apply— your current skills and experiences may translate into fundraising.
This position is full-time and based in San Diego. Under Covid, the inewsource team is working from home. We are committed to the safety and health of our staff.
The Philanthropy Oﬃcer will have responsibility for growing and maintaining a portfolio of individual donors, using strategic, donor-centered fundraising and sales best practices. This role will be central in strengthening and increasing our support from individual donors. The position will report to the Chief of External Relations and join a growing revenue team. inewsource is leveraging a game-changing, three-year investment from the American Journalism Project (AJP) to support key positions in the revenue team.
- Manage relationships with individuals in the assigned portfolio of donors and prospects.
- Continually adjust and report on portfolio performance, prospect outreach and pipeline.
- Assist with the development of engagement plans for $1,000+ donors including opportunities, goals, strategies, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans,
- Maintain accurate records.
- You will work on donor stewardship plans using inewsource information, collateral, events, annual reports, newsletters, and other communications to connect with donor/prospect interests and deepen awareness of inewsource’s mission.
- Ongoing search for new individual donors.
- Opportunities for increased giving by current donors.
What you’ll need to succeed
- While some previous fundraising experience is desirable, candidates with sales experience in retail, business and corporate settings are also encouraged to apply.
- The ideal candidate is highly motivated by the inewsource mission and also eager to develop into a top fundraiser.
- Ability to work effectively with and quickly gain the respect and support of various and diverse constituencies, including staff, donors, and prospects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication as well as diplomatic skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet deadlines. The ability to set and adhere to priorities and deadlines is essential.
- Sound judgment in maintaining conﬁdential information.
- A ﬁrm commitment to the mission of inewsource with a genuine belief in the power of credible journalism to make positive change in a community. A personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability, involvement with the criminal justice system, and socioeconomic circumstance.
- The ability to work some evenings, weekends, and irregular hours.
How we’ll support you
- In-house mentorship and a transparent internal review and feedback process.
- Opportunity to grow your skills and advance internally.
- $1,000 in support for conferences and training.
- We offer a competitive salary, a health plan, paid leave and a 401(k) with match. We’re committed to building an inclusive organization that represents the people and communities we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people and people with disabilities.
Posting Date: 04/22/2021
Deadline to apply: 05/14/2021
Location: San Diego, CA (You will be working remotely for the foreseeable future.)
Start Date: Flexible, but June preferred.
Starting Salary: $70,000+, DOE
To apply: Please submit an application through this link.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
inewsource is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at inewsource are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualiﬁcations, without regard to race, color, age, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in California. inewsource will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.