inewsource, is an award-winning, independent, nonproﬁt newsroom that produces investigative journalism focused on the San Diego area. It has served the region for 12 years with trustworthy reporting that has changed laws and lives. Our support comes from donations, big and small.
This position presents an exciting opportunity — at an exciting time — to join and learn from a leadership team that is elevating an already successful major gifts program. We have an ambitious growth plan and seek a rising fundraiser or an energetic sales person to serve as our Philanthropy Oﬃcer, a newly created position on our revenue team.
- Are you a people person who likes to listen and engage?
- Do you like working on teams across departments?
- Are you looking to learn some new skills or level up your current professional experience? Fundraising is all about connecting people with a mission they care about.
In this case, it’s all about deep-dive journalism that can change lives. It’s about truth and community. If you believe fact-based information is more important today than ever, we want to meet you. Your skills may not tick every box, but that’s OK. If you’re passionate about what we do, we will help you make the most of your experiences and help you grow.
inewsource is a collaborative organization. The revenue team and the news team work closely together to make sure we are doing everything we can to serve the region and make it the best place to live. We welcome new ways of doing things, so bring your ideas for engaging audiences and turning readers into donors.
Our goal is to serve our community and meet our mission every day, and that means helping you do your best work in a place that makes you feel welcome and valued.
This position is full-time and based in San Diego. The inewsource team currently is working from home, but we hope to be in our oﬃce in early 2022. We are committed to the safety and health of our staff.
The Philanthropy Oﬃcer will have responsibility for growing and maintaining a portfolio of individual donors, and will be central to stewarding current donors and appealing to new ones through personal outreach and events. By designing thoughtful communications and strategic campaigns, you will help build our subscriber base, the pipeline to larger donations and legacy gifts. You will work with other members of the revenue team and with editors and reporters to collaboratively build support for non-proﬁt news. The position will report to the Director of Philanthropy.
- Manage relationships with individuals in an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects.
- Manage campaigns including email and other digital marketing strategies to acquire new donors.
- Assist with the development of engagement plans for $1,000+ donors including opportunities, goals, strategies, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans, including the Spotlight Club
- Work on donor stewardship plans using inewsource information, collateral, events, annual reports, newsletters, and other communications to connect with donor/prospect interests and deepen awareness of inewsource’s mission.
- Continuously search for new individual donors and for opportunities for increased giving.
- Take the lead in organizing events for the Spotlight Club, our major giving circle
- Plan and carry out online fundraising campaigns at least ﬁve times a year
- Collaboratively maintain accurate records in Salesforce, our CRM.
What you’ll need to succeed
- While some previous fundraising experience is desirable, candidates with sales experience in retail, business and corporate settings are also encouraged to apply.
- A ﬁrm commitment to the mission of inewsource with a genuine belief in the power of credible journalism to make positive change in a community.
- Ability to work effectively with and quickly gain the respect and support of various and diverse constituencies, including staff, donors, and prospects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication as well as diplomatic skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet deadlines. The ability to set and adhere to priorities and deadlines is essential.
- Sound judgment in maintaining conﬁdential information.
- A personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability, involvement with the criminal justice system, and socioeconomic circumstance.
- The ability to work some evenings, weekends, and irregular hours.
Who we are
inewsource has spent the last 12 years dedicated to holding public leaders accountable, watching out for taxpayer money, provoking a search for solutions to governmental and societal problems, and strengthening democracy in our region. All of our content is published on the web, sometimes in print, and always aired on radio and TV through our partnerships with KPBS and CBS 8.
inewsource is a member of the Trust Project , an international consortium of news organizations dedicated to transparency and helping the public ﬁnd trustworthy news. Check out our standards and policies . We are a founding member of the national Institute for Nonproﬁt News.
Right now, we are a team of 17 people, including full- and part-time reporters, editors, interns and a handful of people on the business side. We have plans to grow in the next couple of years thanks to a major national validation of our work and a large investment in our long-term sustainability from the American Journalism Project, a venture philanthropy group committed to saving civic news. This funding will be used to build a robust revenue team that will, in turn, be responsible for maintaining and growing the newsroom.
How we’ll support you
We will pay a salary that is competitive and commensurate with experience. Beneﬁts include health, dental and vision insurance, 401K and a match, vacation, sick leave, holidays and more.
We will also support you with:
- In-house mentorship and a transparent internal review and feedback process.
- Opportunity to grow your skills and advance internally.
- $1,000 in support for conferences and training.
We’re committed to building an inclusive organization that represents the people and communities we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people and people with disabilities.
Posting Date: 10/05/2021
Deadline to apply: 11/02/2021
Location: San Diego, CA (You will be working remotely initially but will be expected to be based in San Diego.)
Start Date: Flexible, but mid November preferred.
Starting Salary: $70,000+, DOE
inewsource is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at inewsource are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualiﬁcations, without regard to race, color, age, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in California. inewsource will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.